Idly batter is prepared with basic ingredients with correct ratio of idly rice,ponni rice, urad dal, fenugreek for making delicious spongy idly. I am using mixie jar for preparing Idly batter. But if you have more members in your family then better opt for grinder rather than mixie jar.Only thing we need to take care is correct ratio and don’t add lots of water which will make idly hard.
- Idly rice – 4 cup
- Parboiled rice (Ponni rice) – 1 cup
- Urad dal – 1 cup
- Fenugreek – 1 tbsp.
- Water-for grinding
- Clean the rice properly because the water which we are going to soak should be reused while grinding.
- Combine both idly rice+ ponni rice +fenugreek in vessel and soak in water overnight.
- Soak urad dal for 2 hrs before grinding.Remove the water from urad dal and add it with rice.
- Take mixie jar and grind little amount of rice with the water which was soaked overnight.
- Grind little by little and Keep it in separate bowl.Then again repeat this process two or three times until it becomes fine batter.
- Add salt and mix the batter with hands properly.
- Fermentation will happen within 8 hrs if you are in sunny region with temperature of of 26-32 C or 80-90F.
- If you are residing in cool place then you can keep the batter overnight or 10- 12 hrs in oven with only lights on so that batter will rise. Please make sure you use larger vessel because batter may overflow and don’t forget the batter which was inside the oven for about 10- 12 hrs just keep reminder 🙂 🙂 . After fermentation refrigerate the batter for later use.
- You can check this link on how to cook soft idly using pressure cooker.
- For the first two days you can use batter for Idly and later you can use this batter to prepare dosa.
- Dont throw the water which was soaked with rice overnight.Use it while grinding this will help in fermentation process
- Add little by little water which will help in grinding and not more as it will make idly harder
342 total views, 4 views today