Hyderabadi Mutton biryani are of two types
1) Kachchi(raw) biryani
2) Pakki (cooked) biryani
The Kachchi biryani is prepared with meat marinated with spices and raw papaya paste to make the meat tender and then soaked in curd for about an hr before cooking. The soaked meat is layered first and then the layer of basmati rice and cooked on dum after sealing the vessel with wheat dough for about 40 mins and this slow cooking makes briyani more tastier .
The Pakki biryani, is layered with the cooked meat gravy and then layered with the rice and cooked on dum in a dough-sealed vessel for about 20-25 mins.
This would be my favorite post and would be yours too as the word briyani makes everybody happy and excited!An important note is to choose tender meat and no need to worry about the taste as adding mutton to any dish will make it more flavorful and tasty 😉 Today am going to prepare the pakki version of Hyderabadi Mutton dum biryani and later on will try the kachchi briyani 😉
- Mutton – 1 kg
- Fried Onions – as required
- Chilli powder-1 tbsp
- Coriander powder-1 tbsp
- Garam masala-2 tsp
- Ginger garlic paste-3 tsp
- Green chilli-2
- Big Onion-1
- Cinnamon(Dalchini) – 3 small sticks
- Bay leaf(Tej Patta)-1
- Green Cardamom-1
- Star anise (Chinese star anise)-1
- Black Cardamom (kali elachi)-2
- Jeera/Cumin-2 tsp
- Turmeric powder-1 tsp
- Mint-1/2 bunch
- Coriander leaf-1/2 bunch
- Saffron -3 soaked in 1 tbsp water
Ingredients for Cooking Basmati Rice in dum biryani:
- Basmati Rice-1 and 1/2 cup
- Slit Green chilli-1
- Cinnamon – 1
- Bay leaf-1
- Jeera/Cumin-1 tsp
- Water- as required
- Mint & Coriander leaf-1 tbsp
- Salt-2 tsp
- Oil-1 tbsp
Mutton Gravy Recipe:
- Wash and clean mutton well with 1 tsp turmeric powder,1 tsp salt and water.
- Heat pressure cooker with 1 tbsp of oil and add Cinnamon,bay leaf,clove,black cardamom,jeera,Green cardamom,star anise and saute for a min.
- Add chopped onions,salt and saute till onion becomes translucent.
- Add ginger garlic paste and saute till raw flavor disappears.
- Add tomato, turmeric powder and close the lid for a min so that tomato becomes soft quickly .
- Add chilli,coriander,garam masala and green chilli.Mix it well.Then add curd,coriander and mint leaf.
- Add the mutton and little water to pressure cook for about 7-8 whistles.
Cooking Basmati rice for dum biryani:
- Clean and Soak basmati rice for about 30 mins.
- Heat deep pan with water and once boiled add jeera,green chili,salt,clove,cinnamon,mint and coriander leaf and then the rice.
- Cook rice for about 80% and strain it using colander.
Mutton biryani (Hyderabadi pakki mutton dum biryani ) recipe:
- Every time i use this aluminium pot making for dum biryani and the taste of biryani comes out very well.
- Heat the iron pan and make sure iron pan is hot then add the aluminium pot over it.
- First Layer the rice and then secondly mutton gravy and thirdly rice and then fourthly mutton gravy and then top layer will be rice,fried onions,saffron water,mint and coriander leaf.You can add ghee too .
- Cover the lid by using wheat dough on all sides of aluminium pot so that no air escapes while keeping dum or else you can add weight on top of the lid.Cook for about 20-25 mins in medium heat and switch off the stove then remove the wheat dough using fork and yummy Hyderabadi Mutton biryani will be ready to attack 😀
If you really found this post useful please do share with friends and family using your social account which will make me motivated !! Happy Cooking 😀
369 total views, 1 views today