kara kolukattai is one of the traditional SouthIndian festival recipe for Ganesh Chathruthy which is a rice dumpling with chili and garlicky flavor.These goes well along with peanut chutney or tomato chutney . This is very spicy and has amazing taste and one of my favorite during my childhood.
My mum always prepares and serves us hot for breakfast and she will eagerly wait for us to reply about the kolukattai taste 😉 😉 .This is really very easy and quick way of preparing rice dumplings which makes our tummy full 😀 😀 😀 .Anything with garlic flavor i just love it and this dish is one of my favorites!!!!!!!!!!!
Serves : 4 Yields : 16 Cook Time : 15 Prep Time :10
Total Time :25 min
- Idly rice – 1 cup
- Toor dal-1/2 cup
- Salt– as required
- Red chili-8 (adjust as per spice level)
- Water- as required
- Mustard seeds-1 tsp
- Urad dal-1 tsp
- Onion-1/4 cup
- Oil-1 tbsp
kara kolukattai recipe :
- Soak idly rice and toor dal overnight.
- Next day grind to red chili , garlic,salt,rice, toor dal to coarse paste by adding little water.Make sure the paste should not be watery or too thick paste.
- Heat wide non stick pan with oil,mustard seeds,urad dal ,chopped onions.Cook till onion gets translucent.
- Add the coarse paste and keep on stirring often for about 10 mins in medium flame.After 10 mins no water content is seen in coarse paste as shown below
- Switch off the stove and let it cool.
- Once cooled apply oil all over palms .Take a small portion and close your palm by making fingerprints in the kolukattai.
- Steam in Idly cooker or pressure cooker without whistle for about 15 -20 mins until it cooks completely.You can check it has cooked properly by poking fork inside the kolukattai , if it comes clean then its cooked completely or else steam it for few more mins.
If you really found this post useful please do give your valuable comments and share with your loved ones using your social account which will make me motivated !!You can also follow us on facebook ,twitter and pinterest !!!!!!!! Happy Cooking 😀
5,899 total views, 4 views today