Soft Idly is traditional breakfast in South Indian households which is prepared with urad dal ,rice,fenugreek seeds. To make it spongy ratio of these ingredients are very important .I prepared idly batter using mixie jar.You can enjoy this soft idly by dipping in sambar or your favorite chutney 😀 .You can also check basic Sambar , Brinjal/Eggplant sambar , Mint&coriander chutney ,idly podi , mini idly
Tips to make perfect sponge idly
Ratio of rice and urad dal is very important to make soft Idly
Prepare Idly once batter ferments (first day), next day on wards you can use this batter for making dosa.
Once idly is cooked perfectly use spoon dipped with water (wet spoon) and then using wet spoon scoop Idly smoothly from the idly plate . Serve hot immediately or else store in air tight container as soon as possible to retain its moisture .
- Idly rice – 4 cup
- Parboiled rice (Ponni rice) – 1 cup
- Urad dal – 1 cup
- Fenugreek – 1 tbsp.
- Water-for grinding
- Idly plate-4
- Idly cooker/pressure cooker-7.5 litre
- oil- required to grease the idly plate
- Clean the rice properly because the water which we are going to soak should be reused while grinding.
- Combine both idly rice+ ponni rice +fenugreek in vessel and soak in water overnight.
- Soak urad dal for 2 hrs before grinding.Remove the water from urad dal and add it with rice.
- Take mixie jar and grind little amount of rice with the water which was soaked overnight.
- Grind little by little and Keep it in separate bowl.Then again repeat this process two or three times until it becomes fine batter.
- Add salt and mix the batter with hands properly.
- Fermentation will happen within 8 hrs if you are in sunny region with temperature of of 26-32 C or 80-90F.
- If you are residing in cool place then you can keep the batter overnight or 10- 12 hrs in oven with only lights on so that batter will rise. Please make sure you use larger vessel because batter may overflow and don’t forget the batter which was inside the oven for about 10- 12 hrs just keep reminder 🙂 🙂 . After fermentation refrigerate the batter for later use.
- Heat little water to the bottom of pressure cooker/idly cooker.
- Meanwhile Grease the idly plate with drop of oil.Pour the batter to fill the idly plate.
- Place the idly plate in cooker and then close the lid without using whistle.Cook for about 20 mins.
- To check the idly is cooked perfectly open the lid of cooker and use fork to poke the idly and if fork is clean then idly is ready to serve hot 😉 or else cook with lid on for few mins .
- Once idly is cooked perfectly use spoon dipped with water (wet spoon) and then using wet spoon scoop Idly smoothly from the idly plate . Serve hot immediately or else store in air tight container as soon as possible to retain its moisture .
- Ratio of rice and urad dal is very important to make soft Idly. Dont throw the water which was soaked with rice overnight.Use it while grinding this will help in fermentation process
- Add little by little water which will help in grinding and not more as it will make idly harder
- Prepare Idly once batter ferments (first day), next day on wards you can use this batter for making dosa.
- Serve hot immediately or else store in air tight container for a day.
If you really found this post useful please do give your valuable comments and share with your loved ones using your social account which will make me motivated !!You can also follow us on facebook ,twitter and pinterest !!!!!!!! Happy Cooking 😀
Mini Idly with Podi
983 total views, 3 views today