Ven Pongal or Khara Pongal is traditional South Indian recipe made with rice and lentils which is pressure cooked along with milk or water and then topped with curry leaves,mustard seeds,jeera,hing ,pepper and Ghee to give wonderful aroma and taste to the dish.Whenever i eat Ven Pongal along with sambar and vada always I feel drowsy and heavy 😉 😉 for a heavy breakfast this Ven Pongal recipe is perfect choice ! Adding Ghee as topping to this recipe just gives extra flavor to this recipe and i still remember my mum adding extra ghee when she serves Ven Pongal to me and brother 😛 as usual my dad asks for that extra ghee for him but my mom never listens to him :p :p this always happens 😀 . My brother loves vada to the hell so whenever my mum prepares Ven pongal by default she prepares vada tooo and that morning would be feast for us with this rich pongal as breakfast .Now days Whenever I have craving towards the rice i tend to prepare this delicious Pongal and just treat myself 😉 You can also check this link on how to prepare homemade pure ghee . Recipes for Pongal festival white Pongal , sakkarai Pongal
Serves : 4 Total time : 20 mins
- Rice-1 cup
- Moong dal-1/2 cup
- Milk + water-3 cups + 1.5 cups( or you can use only water 4.5 cups)
- Salt- to taste
- Ghee-2 tbsp
- Pepper-1 tbsp
- Curry leaves-8
- Jeera-1 and 1/2 tsp
- Mustard Seeds-1 tsp
Ven Pongal recipe :
- Clean rice and moong dal thrice in water.
- Add rice, moong dal ,salt, hing,milk and water to the pressure cooker.Adding milk makes Ven pongal more tasty but if you don’t like the milk flavor you can add only water.
- Pressure cook the Pongal for about 2 whistles.Once cooled open the cooker and just combine the rice using spoon so that rice gets smashed well.
- Prepare the tempering by adding ghee,mustard seeds,jeera,curry leaves,hing,pepper to the pan once mustards splutter, add in the cashews and roast for a while then pour the mixture to the pongal. Combine everything and serve it.
- Serve this hot Ven Pongal with Sambar and Vada or coconut chutney:)
- If you have added milk to the pongal then consume it within a day.If you have used only water to prepare pongal then refrigerate it for one day.
If you really found this post useful please do give your valuable comments and share with your loved ones using your social account which will make me motivated !!You can also follow us on facebook ,twitter and pinterest !!!!!!!! Happy Cooking 😀
4,228 total views, 9 views today