Meen kulambu is South Indian dish where fish is boiled with spicy tangy liquid .Fish is the best source of omega-3 fatty acids and my granny used to say its very good for our vision..I learnt this recipe from my mom and she used to prepare more rice especially when she makes this Meen kulambu 😉 .She used to prepare this on every sunday as my dad and me prefer fish than the meat.Whenever guests come to my home i prefer making this fish curry and fish tandoori.Adding sesame oil to any puli (tamarind) kulambu enhances the taste so do ensure to use this oil .
- Sesame Oil – 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- Vadagam –2 tsp
- Curry leaf – as required
- Onion – 1
- Tomato – 1
- Salt as required
- Turmeric powder – 1 tsp
- Sambar powder – 6 tbsp (as required)
- Fish – ½ kg/ 1 lb
- Tamarind – 1 lemon size
- Coriander leaf- garnish
- Onion -1
- Tomato – 1
Meen kulambu Recipe:
- Soak tamarind in water for 1 hr and smash the pulp nicely in water and remove the pulp or else if you dont have enough time soak the tamarind in hot water so that smashing the pulp becomes easy
- Clean the fish by adding turmeric and salt with water
- Heat wok/kadai with oil, add mustard seeds ,vadagam and saute for few secs. Vadagam is used for seasoning which gives wonderful aroma and is used in sambar,kuzhambu, kootu varieties
- Add curry leaf, onion and salt ,saute til it becomes translucent
- Add tomato, turmeric and meanwhile grind onion, tomato in mixie to fine paste and add it to wok/kadai.Cook for 5-7 mins until raw flavor disappears
- Add sambar powder as per taste and add tamarind water if its too thick add little water then cook for 10 mins by closing the lid
- After it boils , simmer to medium add fish and close the lid, cook it for 12-15 min.
- Garnish with coriander leaf and switch off the stove.To make the Fish Curry more tasty just leave the fish curry on the counter for about an hr so that all the flavors gets into fish very well .Later on you can attack this delicious Fish Curry!!!!!!!Serve hot with rice and njoy 😀
Serve Meen kulambu with rice or ghee dosa 😉
- Cook the fish for 12-15 mins and don’t over cook fish may break into pieces.
- Don’t burn the vadagam it may turn bitter.
- After switching off the stove,let the fish get soaked well so that the spicy flavor gets into it.My Granny says the next day of fish kuzhambu tastes more than freshly prepared one 😉
- Use sesame oil and shallots which enhances the meenu kuzhambu/fish curry flavor
If you really found this post useful please do give your valuable comments and share with your loved ones using your social account which will make me motivated !!You can also follow us on facebook ,twitter and pinterest !!!!!!!! Happy Cooking 😀
1,253 total views, 1 views today