Nethili meen kulambu / Nethili fish curry is very tasty South Indian curry recipe served along with rice or idly and point to be noted is this fish gets cooked within a minute.Usually i prepare this Nethili meen kulambu during weekends as this fish is favorite to my whole family :). And this fish curry tastes even better the next day !! If you wanna try baked and crispy smelt fry check this Baked SMELT fry Similar recipes Fish Fry , Golden thread Fish curry with coconut, Baked smelt fry, Fish curry without coconut , Quinoa fish porridge ,mackerel/ayala meen fry
- Nethili/smelt-500 grams
- Sesame oil-2 tbsp
- Urad dal-1 tsp
- Fenugreek seeds-1/4 tsp
- Mustard seeds-1 tsp
- Curry leaves-as required
- Tomato-1 and 1/2
- ginger garlic paste-1 tsp
- Tamarind-lemon size
- Water – as required
- Sambar powder-5 tsp adjust it according to your spice level [or chili powder+coriander powder – 1 :2 ratio]
- Coconut-1/2 cup
- Fennel seeds-1 tsp
- Water-little to grind
Nethili meen kulambu recipe:
- Clean the fish properly by removing head and stomach parts.Add 1 tsp turmeric powder to the fish and let it sit for 10 mins.
- Heat kadai/pan with sesame oil,once hot add urad dal,fenugreek seeds and saute for about a min.
- Add mustard seeds to splutter,curry leaves,onion,tomato,salt and turmeric powder.Cook till tomato gets mushy.
- Add ginger garlic paste and cook for about 2 mins.
- Prepare tamarind water by soaking tamarind in water for about half an hr or microwave for about a min so that it is easy to squeeze the tamarind juice.
- Add tamarind water,sambar or chili+coriander powder [1:2 ratio] ,required water based on how thick you want your Nethili meen kulambu/smelt fish curry and mix well.Cook for about 20 mins with lid on so that raw flavor disappears.
- Grind coconut,fennel seeds,little water to fine paste. Then add to the curry and cook for about 5 mins with lid on.
- Add Nethili/Smelt fish to curry and gently mix it.Cook for about a min and switch off with lid on ,fish gets cooked quickly with the heat present in curry.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot with rice or idly for lovely family lunch 😀
1,817 total views, 4 views today