Sambar is South-Indian cuisine which is served with rice or idly or pongal. My fav would be dipping vadai in hot sambar which would be divine. I had a North Indian friend who would ask me to bring her the idly and Sambar prepared by my mom often as she loves the taste to the core.The secret of my mum’s tasty sambar is cooking dal perfectly and make sure to add turmeric,salt,oil,green chili along with toor dal and pressure cook 😀 😀 . This is basic lentil recipe with vegetables which is common in all South Indian household and eating hot sambar with ghee roast dosai from mom is heaven ♥
Serves : 4 Total time : 25 mins
- Shallots -5 or onion-1
- Beans-1/4 cup
- Tamarind –lemon size
- Mustard seeds – ¼ tsp
- Channa dal – 1 tsp
- Urad dal -1 tsp
- Curry leaf – 5 no
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Fenugreek seeds – 4 no
- Hing/ asafetida –pinch
- Turmeric -1 tsp
- Sambar powder – 4 tsp (adjust according to spice level)
- Salt – as required
- Coriander leaf- garnish
Pressure cook dal :
- Toor dal – 1 cup
- Water- 2 cups
- Turmeric powder- 1 tsp
- Salt-as per taste
- Green chili-2
- Oil-2 tsp
- Add tamarind with water in bowl and microwave for a min or add the tamarind in hot water.Then Squeeze the pulp to extract the juice and throw away the pulp.
- Add 1 cup toor dal , turmeric powder, oil,green chili, salt,2 cups of water (adjust the water level such that water should be 1 inch above the dal) and pressure cook for 2 whistle or You can also cook dal along with rice simultaneously in pressure cooker by adding water to the bottom and add rice in cooking vessel with water and then use the lid of that cooking vessel for dal with water and cook for 2 whistles.
- Heat kadai/cooking pot with oil and once hot add mustard seeds,channa dal,urad dal,curry leaf,hing,fenugreek seeds then saute for min
- Add onion and salt and cook till onion becomes translucent then add turmeric and tomato and close the lid for 3 mins so that tomato becomes mushy.
- Add any vegetable you like (potato,avarakai,carrot).I am adding beans here and cook for 5 mins by closing the lid
- Add sambhar powder,tamarind water and toor dal then stir well.
- If you want sambar to be little watery add water as required.Close the lid and cook on medium for 15 mins
- Garnish with coriander leaf.
* Serve with rice or pongal.
* Dunk the vadai into sambar and enjoy !
1,371 total views, 2 views today