Pulicha keerai or Gongura chutney is popular dish in South India which is served along with dosa or idly and i love eating it along with Quinoa curd rice to make it healthy.Adding sesame oil in this dish makes it more flavorful and this can be stored for about a week in sterilized glass container in refrigerator. Pulicha keerai/Sorrel leaves are basically tangy in taste and high in vitamins and minerals.My Granny always mix this Pulicha keerai/Gongura chutney in plain rice with sesame oil and feeds us….Still cannot forget the taste and her unconditional love towards me and my brother 🙂
Serves : 5 Cook Time : 30 mins
- Pulicha keerai/Sorrel leaves- 1 bunch
- Sesame oil-1/4 cup
- Turmeric powder-pinch
- Vendayam/Fenugreek seeds-5
- Red chili-5 (adjust to spice level)
- Red chili powder-1 tsp (optional)
- Coriander seeds-2 tsp
- Small onions-10
- Salt- to taste
- Water-2 cups
Pulicha keerai Recipe:
- Rinse and clean the Sorrel leaves well with water.Heat wide pan with Pulicha keerai/Sorrel leaves and water .Cook with lid on till leaves become soft for about 10 -15 mins in medium flame. Don’t add too much of water as all the nutrients will be lost as we will throw away the water.
- Heat non stick pan and dry roast coriander seeds,red chili for about 2 mins and keep aside.
- Heat 2 tsp of sesame oil and then saute the garlic,turmeric,fenugreek seeds until it gets cooked well.
- Then grind coriander seeds,red chili,garlic once it gets cooled.
- Then add the boiled Sorrel leaves/Pulicha keerai to the food processor and grind to fine paste.
- Heat 1/4 cup of sesame oil and once hot add the chopped small onion, salt and saute for until it becomes translucent.
- Add red chili powder which is optional.I added as my family loves it spicy.Saute it very well for about 4-5 mins.
- Add the fine paste to the pan and cook in medium flame for about 10 mins until oil oozes out from it.
- Once cooled store it in sterilizer glass container for about a week in refrigerator.
If you really found this post useful please do give your valuable comments and share with your loved ones using your social account which will make me motivated !!You can also follow us on facebook ,twitter and pinterest !!!!!!!! Happy Cooking 😀
Keerai masiyal/Spinach dal
Palak kichdi/Spinach dal rice