Ulundhu kali is south Indian delight which is high in protein,low in fat and very good for women which helps to strengthen hip bones.
My granny used to prepare this often and forces me to eat as she adds loads of gingelly oil/sesame oil and jaggery which i hesitate to eat 😉 but now I customized based on my taste as it has loads of benefits.This is very good for the girls who attain puberty and my granny always insist me to prepare kali using urad dal with skin(black whole urad dal) as it has lots of health benefits . You can also check out Ragi recipes
- Roasted Urad dal powder- 1/2 cup
- Jaggery-1/2 cup
- Elachi/cardamom powder-pinch
- Sesame oil/Gingelly oil-2 tbsp
- Water-2 cups
- Grated coconut-1 tbsp (optional)
- Dry roast 1/2 cup of black urad dal (urad dal with skin) and just one white urad dal (urad dal without skin, just to know when the color changes to brown color which is perfect time to switch of the stove) in skillet.
- Once cooled grind to fine powder using food processor or mixie
- Mix 2 cups of water with 1/2 cup of roasted urad dal powder very well so no lumps forms and then switch on stove in medium.
- Cook for about 7-8 mins and keep on stirring .It gets thicken as shown
- Add 1/2 cup of jaggery and then cook for about 8 mins until raw flavor of jaggery powder disappears.
- Add cardamom powder,shredded coconut,gingelly oil/sesame oil and mix it well for about a min and serve it hot
- Serve kali by topping it with shredded coconut.
- You can also use palm jaggery or sugar Jaggery, where you can prepare syrup and remove dirt using filter.
If you really found this post useful please do give your valuable comments and share with your loved ones using your social account which will make me motivated !!You can also follow us on twitter and pinterest !!!!!!!! Happy Cooking 😀
Moong dal halwa
1,105 total views, 4 views today